Education Trust Fund
The Trust was formed in 1978 and is a completely separate entity
from the ICS. It has up to six members who are elected at its AGM
as Trustees to serve for a period of 12 months. In addition, up to
five co-opted members can hold office until the end of the AGM
following their co-option.
The Trust is governed by a Declaration of Trust dated 1978 and
is registered with the UK Charity Commissioners. It has separate
auditors to the ICS.
The principle objectives as contained in the Declaration of
- To promote the education of persons in the business of
- To promote the maintenance of any school or faculty providing
education in relation to the business of shipping;
- To provide scholarships for further education of persons
wishing to pursue a career in the business of shipping;
- To provide lectures and films of an educational character in
relation to making a career in the business of shipping;
- To do all such other charitable things as are necessary for the
attainment of all of the above objects or any one of them.
Over the last few years the Trust has supported causes
including: the funding and setting up of a number of Branch
libraries worldwide; financial support for less privileged students
in SE Asia; the President's annual prize for the most outstanding
student of the year; and the Gordon Baldwin dissertation award.
In recognition of the Institute's Centenary in 2011, it was
agreed that the Trust should adopt a more pro-active position. It
has set some ambitious objectives for the short and medium term
which will require large fundraising projects.
Success in raising sufficient funds will allow the Trust to fund
- Centenary award of ETF Scholarship(s);
- Support for two places each year at the PREP held at Warwick
- Creation of a Learning Resource Centre for the Shipping
community (in collaboration with other organisations);
- Expansion of the "Friends of the ICS" initiative.
These are in addition to the two awards already established and
noted above. Meeting these ambitious plans will need strong
financial support from the shipping industry as well as fundraising
support at Branch level. In order to move the process forward the
Trustees have already created a working group.
The success of these projects will help to raise the profile of
the Institute significantly and your support will be greatly
Donate today to support the work of the Education Fund. For
more information on how to donate, please contact us on
Future meetings of the Trust
6th June 2019
17th October 2019